Why we are Todaydream™
- Today, Dream, our statement: We empower students to dream audaciously today and be active participants in creating their futures. There is a fierce urgency to performing this work now. So let us Dream Today.
- Today Dream, our symbol: In 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., shared his dream before the world of racial and socioeconomic equity. We are dedicated to this vision, such that it is Today's Dream and becomes our collective tomorrow.
- To Daydream, our strategy: We believe a key element in accomplishing our goal is inspiring youth. We motivate them To Daydream—in other words, to pause and take time to visualize all they can become beyond the limitations of what they may see in their immediate surroundings.
- Todaydream™, our structure: We created Todaydream to inspire youth and support them in pursuing their dreams. Since messages delivered by those of a shared background may be more meaningful, our organization enlists people of diverse backgrounds to accomplish our mission.
Students of color still do not see enough examples of people who look like them in professions they want to be—with lives they want to have. This situation can erode students' belief in the power of their own dreams, putting a ceiling on their potential.
At Todaydream, we know the reality is far better than the perceived shortage. Diverse professionals do exist, yet often their stories do not rise above the noise of contemporary cultural expectations. Their stories do not reach students' ears.
Our mission is to empower the next generation by providing the largest network of diverse college-educated professionals ever assembled who are trained to share their stories. We call these professionals DreAmbassadors™.
According to its definition, an ambassador is a person who acts as a representative or promoter of a specified activity. And so a DreAmbassador (pronounced as 'dream ambassador') is a person who represents or promotes the transformative act of dreaming—not only through their words, not only through their beliefs, but also through their testimony—through the irrefutable evidence of their lived experience.
DreAmbassadors are not merely inspiring students to believe in their dreams; they are exposing students to new possibilities they may not have even known to dream about—and empowering them to get there. Our DreAmbassadors are:
- Diverse college graduates
- Leading professionals (e.g., doctors, lawyers, engineers, businesspeople, authors, entrepreneurs, activists, artists)
- Trained to share their stories with youth